Pages

Thursday 14 January 2016

Creating Custom Bases For Warhammer 40K

 I'm making stuff...

Sometimes I'll read about something and decide in my infinite wisdom that it might be a subject I want to dip my toe into.
Even though I've long since stopped painting Warhammer 40K figures for my son I still got a buzz out of the models and the scale size of the stuff - I could look at dioramas for hours. My latest venture is silicone mold making and designing custom bases for Warhammer or Flames of War figures.


I'd had the silicone kit sitting around for a while and thought I'd give it a go, considering all I had to go on was about 60 hours of viewed YouTube videos I was totally blown away by the first ones I had cast in fast cast resin. The above image is of the final painted versions which I'm now selling on Ebay here. 

The whole idea of measuring and mixing all this stuff isn't actually as hard or as complex as it sounds, I had enough YouTube info to get a kit and have a go. Besides, I needed a hobby and something to do since I'm now getting totally bored with video-games.



Above: the Black bases show the final raw fast cast resin bases out of the mold, washed and sanded before being base-coated with black primer. The white crater was molded using decorators filler and small bits of scrap wall plaster added to a 60mm Warhammer base before silicone was poured to make the primary mold.

Not bad for a total newbie even if I do say so myself!- I'm super chuffed.







No comments:

Post a Comment