Pages

Sunday 13 February 2011

A leap of faith...and a good story



A few years back I started writing a novel, I started writing it based on several unsuccessful movie pitches to Hollywood producer Bob Kosbergs website  moviepitch http://www.moviepitch.com/ . I jotted down a number of ideas and picked the one I thought had the strongest story outline to be a fictional novel and started writing it, a story about female assassins, I did a ton of research and ploughed into it.
I haven't written stories since school, I have no writing accolades to note and I haven't attended creative writing courses or entered any journalism initiatives but I do know a good story when I read one.Then I shelved it, I stopped writing it altogether having been dismayed at the amount of hassle I'd have to go through just to get the novel looked at, a literary agent, editors and so forth, the dream of getting something out into the big bad world seemed a lot further away than when I started it. The biggest mistake I made was to stop writing, I stopped because I wanted to know what the process was for getting the book in front of readers and then the molehill became a mountain and I lost the motivation to write.

Two years ago I decided that I wanted to start something fresh, I'd write a novel and just publish it myself, I'd dabbled with Blurb.com with a photography book called Airsoft Infidels http://www.airsoftinfidels.com/ which was okay, it went bestseller on blurb.com within a couple of weeks but I probably spent more than I made giving out complimentary copies to all the photographers that participated in the project, and while  the pricing model for Blurb books prevents you from making any real headway on profit for books over 40 pages I thought I'd put my energies into a novel instead, buy my own ISBN and see where I could get with it.

That was two years ago and over two years I've chipped away at it here and then with no focus on actually trying to finish it, then Kindle appeared and the barriers to writing and publishing a novel, and making money via an ebook were now very much back in the frame, I don't need a publisher, I don't need a literary agent, I don't need a bookshop, its my book and the reader. So now the challenge is to finish and launch the book I started two years ago  and to do that I set myself a 1000 word a day goal to write the story. So far over the last 15 days I've conquered nearly ten thousand words so something is clearly working!

Last week I opened up the word doc female assassin story from the novel I started several years ago, and to my surprise I discovered I had written 6000 words, even better than that was the story was actually pretty good, so on the basis of that as soon as my current military thriller is finished I'll be finishing that and hopefully someone out there will be reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment