Pages

Thursday 28 April 2022

 


Star Wars Collectibles: Tie Fighter Pilot (ANH) by RWA Creations

At 52 I've hit that age where material objects, collected trinkets if you will  are gradually meaning less and less to me to possess, for some people these trinkets can take any form, it might be a framed sports jersey or a signed baseball, for others it might be a full size replica Terminator endoskeleton skull or vintage toys or first edition comics. I've no idea if this is because I'm at an age where I find myself cruising the suburbs of mortality, a countdown clock that I can clearly hear ticking louder than it did 10 years ago, or if its just my lack of interest generally in things that used to give me 'a buzz'.

I sold a prized gaming collectible in the form of a full size Blitz the League American football helmet to fund the purchase of a replica Star Wars Tie Fighter pilot helmet. I could have invested the money into my pension (yawn) or bought some shares or done something else uniquely boring with it, so after careful consideration I decided to say screw all that, I'm making one last stupidly daft purchase in my adult life and it shall be something without any kind of function whatsoever, other than to make me blissfully happy for a short time until the feel good buzz wears off. Something I've not been for a good many years.

Did some hunting online and found a Welsh based kit builder by the name of Ross who runs RWA Creations. I've been a big of his work and he knows his stuff when it comes to building Stormtrooper armour and Tie Fighter helms. Additionally, I wanted a UK based builder with plenty of experience which would also keep shipping affordable.

I decided to keep it 'plain Jane', just a standard black one, its not a Backstabber design ( the one with the grey tears) or Jolly Roger squadron and its not an Inferno squadron one either, although I was tempted.


Backstabber Tie - note the grey tear lines running down the cheeks

I opted for a helmet fully built in acrylic capped for the extra shine and one with bubble lenses. I've always loved the imperial helmet designs, having acquired the Black Series Vader helmet and a Stormtrooper helmet from New Image Props a few years ago, the Tie Fighter Pilot finishes my trilogy nicely. Wait time for the helmet from RWA Creations was about 5 weeks and the cost was £210 / $275 delivered. Ross, the guy who runs RWA is super friendly, very approachable and I contacted him through email with what I was looking for.


RS Props Tie build

There are a few builders out there that do some very nice Tie helms, RS Prop Masters based in Stockport was also UK based but a bit rich for my blood at £359. Armory Shop does an awesome build of the Inferno helmet for $234 without shipping but comes from Russia and I really didn't want issues with customs etc, given the events in Ukraine. 


Galactic Armory Tie Pilot kit

Galactic Armory based in the USA does a very nice 3D print kit for $120 not including shipping but that's probably more suited for a true self made custom build so plenty of sanding and finishing required and I simply don't have the workbench to sort that.


Chris the Prop Guy Tie Helmet (Backstabber variant with cheek tears)

ChrisThePropGuy also does an awesome Tie helm and the fit and finish on his Etsy store does look one of the better ones you can get, his Backstabber variant looks superb, he's based in Australia though. Finally the Andrew Ainsworth Tie comes in at a whopping £579 but states that it comes from original 1976 molds, therefore has screen lineage, that's fine if you want the essence of true screen lineage as collectors talking point, and while I'm a massive Star Wars fan I couldn't quite reach that budget.


Andrew Ainsworth Imperial Tie - (screen lineage from 1976 molds)

RWA Creations based in the UK produces a beautiful Acrylic Capped standard Tie Fighter helmet with bubble lenses, Here are some pics below of my newly acquired helm. Hoses will come later and I'm debating to add silver to the nose vents.



RWA Creations Tie fighter helmet in Acrylic Capped Vinyl



No comments:

Post a Comment